I cannot believe I’m starting my third week without sugar, caffeine, dairy, beans or legumes. It’s been great! My energy level is now constant until 10:30pm. At that point it becomes “find your bed ASAP”. Then after about seven hours of sleep I’m waking up before my alarm and am ready to start the day. I’ve never been a morning person yet chose a career that starts at 6:45am. Oh well. I’ve found that I am functioning better with less sleep, especially on post-call days. That’s a plus! And WHOLE30 required a drastic increase in protein from my previous eating habits that now I’m only hungry for snacks after exercising or on long work days. This week’s blog will just feature my favorites meals because I learned to appreciate leftovers. Here we go…
MEAL 1 FAVORITES
- Egg McNuthin’s were yummy and great for work days. Warning! They will ruin even your nonstick muffin tins (yep, learned this the hard way) so be sure to line them with silicone cups or coconut oil. I also made some with turkey. Here’s what I found at my local Publix. If you’ve got to by lunch meat be sure to watch out for nitrates.
MEAL 2 & 3 FAVORITES
- Italian sausage meatballs with zoddles or green beans. This one was new for me. I’ve never made meatballs before. One thing is for sure, they’re hearty. I learned that I much prefer green beans as a base compared to zoodles. I haven’t mastered pulling the water out so the zoodles aren’t soggy but I may try again.
- Pan-roasted lemon chicken (repeat)
- Jalapeño chicken burgers with guac and sweet potato buns. Delicious! I grilled the burgers probably a little too long because they were rocks when I reheated them for leftovers the next day. Consider freezing extra patties and grilling or pan cooking them for each meal if possible.
- And now for my favorite! Mexican lettuce wraps with guac, cilantro and lime juice. Here’s where my flop of the week comes in. I read through 2/3 of the blog with the recipe and started cooking this after dinner one night for work the next day. When I got to the photo step where there’s a line about putting it in the oven I paused. Bake for THREE HOURS. Seriously?! I did not have time for that before bed time so into the fridge it went. And “marinated” for 36 hours until I got home from work. On the bright side, I popped it in the oven Sunday morning and boom. Lunch, dinner and leftovers for work were done. I didn’t have fish sauce so I found the meat to be adaptable to different styles of meals – Mexican, Southern, or Oriental.
On day 14 I added in some exercise to this WHOLE30 routine. I gave myself enough time to get acclimated to the meal planning and cooking and felt ready to add in some movement.
There you have it. Another week is in the books. And I know you’re not supposed to weigh yourself but I did. Drum roll please…. I’m down 10.2 lbs in 14 days. Feeling good. Hope you all have a great week!